Blog WhatsApp Message Automation: 13 ways to Grow Engagement for Your D2C Store
Sonakshi Deb Roy
WhatsApp has become an indispensable part of our lives. WhatsApp has turned into a business enabler, an amplifier of customer engagement, and—let's just say it—a retailer's new best friend. Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) stores stand at the forefront of innovation, redefining the way businesses connect with their audience. In this blog we are about to uncover 13 fantastic ways to not just attract but keep your audience engaged for your direct-to-consumer (D2C) store.
Understanding that customer engagement is not a one-time affair but a journey, we'll navigate through each stage of the purchase process. From the initial interaction to post-purchase support, our guide will equip you with ways to leverage WhatsApp Automation effectively for your retail business. We're not just talking about sending a generic "Thank You for Your Purchase" message and calling it a day. No, no! We're diving deep into the art and science of keeping your customers hooked from the very first interaction, all the way through their purchase journey.
- X% off on first purchase\ Everyone loves a good deal! Offer a sweet discount to push them to make their first purchase. Utilise WhatsApp automation to distribute unique discount codes to individual customers. A potential customer lands on your website or checks out your products, they're intrigued, but there's that tiny hesitation before hitting the "Complete Purchase" button. That's where the magic of a first purchase discount comes in. Imagine offering them an exclusive, irresistible deal right there. Offer them a discount coupon on their first purchase. Get them to submit their WhatsApp number to get the coupon. It's like sliding into their DMs with the golden ticket! People love feeling special, and a personalised discount is a fantastic way to make them feel just that. Craft a catchy message that not only grabs attention but also conveys the exclusivity of the offer.
- X% off on subscribing to WhatsApp newsletter\ Offering discounts to customers for subscribing to a retail business newsletter on WhatsApp can be a strategic and effective way to enhance customer engagement, boost sales, and foster brand loyalty with WhatsApp Automation. When customers visit your retail business's website or physical store, they can be prompted to subscribe to the WhatsApp newsletter for exclusive offers and updates. The subscription call-to-action can be prominently displayed on the website, in-store signage, or even during the checkout process. Once customers subscribe to the WhatsApp newsletter, an automated welcome message is triggered. The welcome message can express gratitude for the subscription, provide a brief overview of the benefits of being a subscriber, and provide the customers a discount code. The automation system can generate a unique discount code for each subscriber. The code is then sent to the subscriber with clear instructions on how to redeem it. Now that the customers have subscribed to your WhatsApp updates, you can use WhatsApp automation to send personalised messages to subscribers by tailoring content based on their preferences or purchase history. Automated newsletters can include new product announcements, upcoming sales, and exclusive promotions to nudge them to make a purchase
- Paid campaign visitors\ Focus on the cream of the crop, the top 5%-10% of potential customers who engage with your paid campaigns on social media. Entice them to visit our website by offering an exclusive discount—but here's the twist. To get the discount, they have to provide their WhatsApp number. This way, you not only pull them into our website but also establish a direct line of communication through WhatsApp. Now, for the remaining paid campaign visitors, let's not let them slip through the cracks. We'll create a sense of urgency by offering a short-duration discount on our website. To unlock this sweet deal, they'll need to share their WhatsApp number as well. This way, we're building a connection with a broader audience and not missing out on potential customers. Now that you have their WhatsApp number, send them exclusive offers, behind-the-scenes content, or even just a friendly check-in. The goal is to turn a one-time discount into a long-term relationship. Remember, the key here is to make the process seamless and enjoyable for our customers. A smooth transition from social media to website to WhatsApp will make them feel valued and more likely to stick around.
- Abandoned Cart\ Your customers adding products to their cart but getting sidetracked is not a very uncommon phenomenon. A gentle nudge on WhatsApp can do wonders. Craft friendly and conversational messages that remind them about the items waiting in their cart. Make it sound like you're just checking in – not pushing sales. Everyone loves a good deal, right? Entice them to complete their purchase by throwing in a limited-time discount or a special offer. Create a sense of urgency – "Act now for an extra 10% off!" – and watch those abandoned carts turn into completed orders. Use the opportunity to suggest similar or complementary products. Your customers might discover something they didn't know they wanted! Craft your messages in a way that feels personalised and helpful rather than salesy. Make it super easy for customers to purchase your product. Include a Call-to-Action (CTA) button, like “Buy Now” that leads directly to your checkout page. Don't bombard your customers with messages. Space out your follow-ups to avoid being too intrusive. A well-timed sequence of messages, maybe one initial reminder, a follow-up with a tempting offer, and a final friendly check-in, usually works.
- Product brochure or product information\ Not all customers have the same preferences or interests. Segment your subscriber list based on factors such as preferences or demographics. This allows you to send targeted and relevant product information to specific groups. Design visually appealing and informative product brochures that showcase your products effectively. Include high-quality images, key features, pricing details, and any promotions or discounts. Make sure the content is concise yet compelling. Implement automated triggers to send product brochures at strategic points in the customer journey. For example, send a brochure after a customer makes an inquiry or browses a specific product category on your website. This helps in keeping the customer engaged and informed. Personalization is key to effective communication. Use customer names and refer to their past interactions or purchases when sending product information. This makes customers feel valued and increases the likelihood of them engaging with your content. Integrate a WhatsApp interactive chatbot to provide quick answers to common customer queries. This ensures that customers receive instant assistance even outside of regular business hours, enhancing their overall shopping experience.
- Testimonials\ Customers are more likely to believe the experiences of their peers than your marketing messages. Testimonials provide an unbiased perspective and lend credibility to your business. Personal stories and positive experiences shared by customers evoke emotions. When customers connect emotionally, they are more likely to become loyal advocates for your brand. Share a variety of testimonials, including written reviews, photos, or even short videos. Diversifying the content keeps your messaging dynamic and captures the attention of a broader audience. Timing is crucial, so consider when your customers are most likely to be active and engaged. Each testimonial message should include a clear call-to-action, encouraging the recipient to take the next step in their purchase journey. This could be a link to a product page, a special offer, or a contact form.
- Feedback on Non-Purchase\ By sending automated feedback forms after non-purchase interactions, you demonstrate a commitment to understanding your customers' needs, opinions, and experiences. This proactive approach not only enhances customer satisfaction but also provides you with invaluable data for refining your products and service. Keep the forms concise. Customers are more likely to complete a brief survey than a lengthy one. Formulate questions that are easy to understand. This ensures accurate and actionable feedback. Define triggers for sending feedback forms. For example, after a customer support chat ends or when a customer spends a certain amount of time on your website without making a purchase. This will not only keep them engaged but also help in building a sense of trust and will probably make your potential customer reconsider their buying decision.
- Feedback/NPS\ Using feedback and Net Promoter Score (NPS) through WhatsApp automation can be a powerful strategy to keep customers engaged. WhatsApp allows for instant communication, enabling you to collect feedback in real-time. Automated messages can be triggered after a customer makes a purchase. Customers have the ability to provide feedback effortlessly through a chat interface, increasing the likelihood of participation. Keep the survey short and simple for better response rates. Use the NPS scores to segment your customers. This segmentation can guide your engagement strategy, focusing more on detractors, improving their experience, and nurturing promoters for advocacy. Based on feedback, automate responses that address specific concerns or express gratitude for positive feedback. Personalised responses show that you value customer input. Regularly review feedback to make data-driven decisions and enhance your products. Customers appreciate businesses that actively listen and adapt based on their input. You can also reward loyal customers through personalised messages and exclusive offers on WhatsApp.
- Referral\ Automated referral programs leverage the popularity and convenience of WhatsApp to turn your satisfied customers into brand advocates and at the same keep them engaged. By sending personalised referral links directly to their WhatsApp, you tap into a communication channel that people check multiple times a day. Set up a referral program that aligns with your brand's values and customer expectations. People love incentives, and a well-designed referral program can be a win-win for both the referrer and the new customer. By offering exclusive discounts or special promotions, you create a compelling reason for your customers to refer their friends and family. The referrer is rewarded for their loyalty, while the new customer enjoys a fantastic deal – a perfect recipe for customer satisfaction and loyalty. The impact of a successful referral program extends beyond immediate sales. By encouraging your existing customers to refer new ones, you organically expand your customer base. These new customers, introduced by someone they trust, are more likely to engage with your brand and become loyal patrons themselves. This word-of-mouth marketing strategy is not only cost-effective but also highly effective in building a strong, loyal customer community.
- Rating\ Automations can be set up to send timely reminders for customers to leave a product or purchase rating. Use WhatsApp automation to trigger a message and capture customers’ feedback immediately after their purchase while their experience is still fresh in their minds, providing more accurate and insightful responses. Automating the feedback process on WhatsApp makes it convenient for customers to provide ratings without the need for additional steps or navigating through unfamiliar interfaces. WhatsApp supports interactive and two-way communication. Businesses can set up automated messages that not only request feedback but also provide customers with options to express their opinions in more detail. This fosters a sense of engagement and makes customers feel that their feedback is valued. WhatsApp automations can be seamlessly integrated with existing business systems and customer databases. This integration ensures that feedback is automatically recorded and can be analysed for insights.
- Testimonial\ Clearly define your objectives for collecting testimonials. Understand what kind of testimonials you're looking for and how you plan to use them. Design a series of automated messages that will be sent to customers to request testimonials. Keep the messages concise, friendly, and clear about the purpose of collecting testimonials. Start with a personalised greeting and a brief explanation of why you are reaching out. Ask if the customer is willing to provide feedback or a testimonial. If the customer expresses interest, send a follow-up message with specific questions or prompts to guide their testimonial. For example, you could ask about their favourite feature, the problem your product solved, or their overall experience. Once the testimonial is submitted, send a thank-you message expressing your gratitude for their feedback. You can also include any incentives you may have promised for providing testimonials.
- After-service information\ Customers appreciate instant interactions. With WhatsApp automations, you can provide after-service information promptly, keeping customers informed and satisfied. Whether it's order updates, shipment tracking, or post-purchase care tips, automated messages ensure that customers receive the information they need without delay. Anticipate customer concerns and address them proactively with automated messages. If there are known issues or delays, use WhatsApp to communicate transparently. This not only manages customer expectations but also showcases your commitment to customer satisfaction. WhatsApp supports multimedia elements, enabling you to create engaging and interactive after-service experiences. Share product tutorials, how-to guides, or exclusive offers through automation. Interactive content keeps customers interested and involved with your brand even after the transaction is complete.
- Refill/Re-order\ Define triggers based on customer behaviour or predefined timelines. For example: Time-based triggers (e.g., monthly refills), Behaviour-based triggers (e.g., when a customer's product is about to run out). Set up automated messages to remind customers when it's time to refill or reorder a product. Include a direct link to the product page for a seamless shopping experience. Tailor promotions and offers based on each customer's purchase history. For example, offer a discount on the next refill or provide loyalty points for consistent reordering.
How Peach can help as a WhatsApp Automation tool
Out of the box integration with Shopify
Peach seamlessly integrates with Shopify, offering retail businesses a unique solution to enhance customer engagement and drive success. By syncing customer data from Shopify, Peach enables businesses to send tailored messages, recommendations, and promotions directly to their customers' WhatsApp inbox. This personalised approach fosters a stronger connection, making customers feel valued and understood. By integrating with Shopify, retailers can send order updates, shipping notifications, and other important information directly to customers' WhatsApp accounts, increasing the likelihood that they will see and engage with your messages.